07 March, 2012

Dear Lost Things...

I'm starting to become notorious for losing things, and based off how many possessions I've lost in only the last 10 days, I can kind of understand why...

1. My key necklace
You know that key necklace I always wear? The one that my brother found for me in Holland and I absolutely loved? Yeah, well, I lost it. Massive sadface. If you're going to lose something though, it's best to do it somewhere memorable, like way up north in Kiruna, a couple of hours before you witness the Northern Lights. Someone said to think of it as the North taking my necklace, but I see it more as a black hole opening up to a parallel universe which sucked my key in, because I searched that room head to toe, upside down and inside out, and it had definitely vanished into thin air.

2. A jar of nutella
How you lose a jar of nutella is a mystery to me. On Saturday morning I had a delicious brunch feast with some friends, which included me running out to buy a jar of nutella (French people love their chocolate and cheese). I swear when I headed back to my room I was carrying that nutella jar but when I went to bring it to afternoon tea later that day it was nowhere to be found. Determined that it was somewhere in my room, I was thus prompted to finally give my room the tidy it had needed since we got back from Kiruna. But despite having a spotless room now, I'm still nutella-less.

3. My golden bracelet
This lost thing I take full responsibility for. My golden bracelet from the Sydney Uni Wednesday markets has a bad habit of coming unclasped, so why I thought it was a good idea to wear it to the paxparty on Saturday night is beyond me. Not surprisingly after a night of dancing on tables, moving through crowded kitchens and corridors, and generally being drunk, I found myself in the early hours of the morning in my room ready for bed but without my bracelet. And sadly it still hasn't turned up.

4. My SL card
In Stockholm, your SL card is the key to life. It lets you get any metro, train, bus, tram, or ferry you want, as much as you want, as often as you want, for as long as your card lasts. And on Sunday when I was at Kungsträdgården watching a busking group of drummers (after attempting ice skating), my SL card dropped out of my wallet. Fortunately the person behind me, as well as my friend, both spotted the card, which makes me think that I should hire someone to follow me around, picking up all the things I lose.

5. My glasses
Losing my glasses yesterday was definitely the worst of the lot. Heading to lunch after a morning's lectures, I suddenly found that my glasses were no longer in my pocket. I desperately retraced my steps- the irony being that I really needed my glasses to search the ground properly. Unlike almost everything else I've lost recently, I fortunately found my glasses at last, sitting on a table in the microwave room. Some lovely person must have found them on the ground and put them up there out of harm's way. Thank you, whoever you were!

On top of losing everything, I'm also really bad at directions. The other day I got lost trying to get from Karlberg station to KI Solna (apparently a very simple walk), even when my friend had drawn me a map. And last week on my first day at the KI Huddinge campus I spent an hour walking around the university/hospital trying to find my lecture room. Despite 3 different people messaging me where to go, and asking numerous hospital staff and med students for directions, I eventually only found the place when everyone came out for the break and my friend started to come find me.

I really am hopeless at life.


P.S. Emma, this is my "hectic" life in Sweden. Hectically full of searching for my lost things.
P.P.S. I almost got through a post without mentioning food, but then I lost the jar of nutella. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment