12 March, 2012

Dear Books and Sunshine...

Before I left Australia everyone warned me about buying too many clothes in Europe, lest my baggage be overweight when flying home. So following the warning, I haven't bought too many things so far, but my real problem is going to be all the books I've collected. I rationalised that the textbooks being half the price here (why so expensive, Australia?) validated buying two large heavy ones. And my dream to one day own a huge library means I don't want to leave them behind.

On top of that, today I bought another novel (Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer - looks like a really good read by the way!) to add to the haul of novels I bought away with me. I was drawn in by the 'Bokrea!' (Book Sale!) signs, but I'm pretty sure my book wasn't actually discounted. Some people have impulse shoe shopping problems, but I have impulse book buying issues.

On a completely separate note, it's really starting to warm up in Stockholm now! On Friday night we went outside Pax to let off some birthday celebration lanterns into the night sky, and I really noticed how much warmer it is. The last time we lit lanterns it was freezing cold, and wearing a coat and scarf barely kept out the cold. This time I was (although a little bit shivery) wearing just a long sleeve top. Almost exactly a month ago we survived the crazy night of walking through the snow for half an hour to the tunnelbana station when it was -18ºC, but today it was a pleasant +11ºC! Talk about a quick turn around.

Most people (both Australian and Swedish) have at some point questioned my sanity in choosing to leave summer for winter, a number of them emphasising how depressing the never-ending cold of Swedish winters are. Well to that I say, winter wasn't long enough. Although I'm looking forward to it getting warmer and seeing everything become green and sunshiny, I really didn't think winter was that bad, and I definitely wouldn't have complained about a bit more snow and cold for a little while longer. So there.

Sunday was so sunny I felt it was time to get out the sunnies AND have the window open for the day
(Also note: I finally got material from IKEA to cover the super white wall I'd been planning to decorate for ages! Yay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment