10 February, 2012

Dear Australian Sense of Humour...

If someone has a great sandwich that they specifically say not to touch when they leave, you obviously hide it as soon as they're out of sight, right? Wrong. Well, wrong if you're in Europe.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Australia any more.

I broached this potential joke at lunch with some Swedish friends the other day, and I got back a mixture of confusion regarding why you would do it, and how it was funny. One guy even went so far as to say, "He said not to take his sandwich. Why would you?", to which I answered, "Because it's funny." Obviously not. I tried to explain the humour in the situation, but to be honest it's hard to make stealing people's sandwiches sound funny unless you're used to such things. I gave up on the reasoning and concluded with what is fast becoming a common saying of mine now, '... it must be an Australian thing'.

To further test the uniqueness of Australian humour, I asked a selection of exchange students what they thought of the "joke" after dinner last night, and sadly received a similar response. Although the copious amounts of cheese and white wine helped lessen the confusion this time (the Swiss guys had cooked fondue for 15 of us), still no one really understood the joke. I had no idea that this style of humour wasn't shared by the French, Swiss, Germans, or Finnish. I feel so alone in my amusement.

On a side note, apparently I'm also alone in drinking alcohol in coffee mugs. I don't know if that's an Australian thing, or just something my friends and I do, but it makes me miss weekends at the Hickie Household, drinking from coffee mugs late into the night and waking up to sunshine mornings and the sounds of a guitar drifting in from the balcony. Summer nostalgia at its finest.

-------
Completely irrelevant, but I promised to put these up, plus I can't do a post without photos.

(The sad thing is that we didn't even coordinate to swap facial expressions)
P.S. if you'd like to know more about the blue marshmallow above, you can find him on his blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment